22nd Annual/7th International Science Fiction Offline Conference will be held on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th of April 2023.
Please find the updated program list of the conference:
IASFS is organizing the conference on ONLINE (Virtual) mode on the above mentioned dates.
Conference Brochure (version 2.20)
Dates of Virtual Conference: April 8th and 9th, 2023
The last date for Registration is Friday 31.03.2023
Last date for the submission of pre-recorded video and other files: Saturday 11.03.2023
Last date for submission of full- length paper for publication: Friday 31.03.2023.
1. For payment within India: https://www.instamojo.com/@drsrinarahari/
2. Registration form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfHxBQWPHC7qqC8Ot4SdFrqdi8bn8DoXRx-Vea3lwNYpaZd4Q/viewform?usp=sharing;
3. Conference email id’s: firstname.lastname@example.org; / email@example.com;
4. All submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
4. General Enquiry: email@example.com;
IASFS has begun its preparations:
1. Mr. Dinkar Charak, an internationally acclaimed Science Fiction resource person, an author, an enterpreneur, editor, webmaster of a time tested website exlusively devoted for the publication of SF articles, reports, shortstories namely, adbhut.in; has kindly consented to deliver the keynote address.
2. Invited a few of the world’s best research supervisors for a panel discussion on the topic “Issues related to SF Research” Retired Professor and HoD PG Department of English, University of Mysore Dr. Ravichandran C (presently in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) has kindly consented to be the moderator for the proposed panel discussion.
3. It has also invited self-authored SF writers and eminent personalities in the field to take part in another session. entitled “My Experimens with Science Fiction Writings”. Retired Principal, Eminent SF writer, multi-talented person Dr. Ranjan Garge from Aurangabad, Maharashtra State, India has kindly consented to be the moderator for the panel discussion.
4. The main focus would be the presentation of scholarly papers during the conference and session and reading self-authored SF stories.
5. The event hopefully entertains papers ranging from literature to science to modern technology to futuristc innovative ideas keeping Science Fiction at the central point.
As the proposed resource persons, panelists, moderators, paper presenters, delegates and the viewers are from various parts of the world, A common timeline will not match for all. It is observed that people of different regions experience difficulty in getting uninterrupted power supply, data, and real time network connections. It is also reported that a single devise is being shared by all the members in a few of the families. In order to facilitate every one to partake in such conferences, IASFS has made a humble attempt to orgnaize the conference in beaming the pre-recorded videos in most of the sessions.
The following hints provided in the video would help the prospective participants in recording the presentations in the form of a video and prepare videos on their own so as to share them with the organizers within the prescribed dates for beaming them during the designated sessions.
How to make a pre-recorded video for paper presentation?
(Mr.Unnikrishnan P is a professional cinematographer, Theater actor & Cinema lecturer. He hails from Kozhikode, Kerala, Now he is settled in Bangalore. He has earned B.Sc. degree in Film Technology specialized in Cinematography; Graduated from SRM Sivaji Ganesan Film Institute, Chennai. In addition, he has an M.Sc. Electronic Media, from Bangalore University, Bangalore.)
Please watch the video so that your production of a video too could be of a very high standard:
Click on the link to play the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hAFj2GVUMtMt_RjbhyHoVCY68Xf5hsRs/view?usp=drivesdk;
Here you can access to know about how the immediate past conference was organized. Hope you could derive a few more hints for your preparation.
21st Annual/6th International SF Virtual Conference
Published Selected Papers/Stories in peer reviewed journal: Insight: University Publication Division, University of Kerala, India
Revised Program Book
The link for the video of “About the Conference” by Dr.Srinarahari is available on YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/6vMgcHIxZAw;
The link for the video of “Recent Trends in Indian/South Asian Science Fiction”(panelists: Dr.Vandana Singh; Dr.Superno Banerjee; Mr. Dinker Charak and Mr. Sumit Kumar Bardan; Moderator: Mr. Gautham Shenoy) is available on YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/JdlRyi7yqMI;
The Link to the video of “Keynote Address” by Harish Goyal: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17HzVQHRj-kxRtFTpNdxPp05kt8w3ovwN/view?usp=sharing;
The link for the video of “Seminar on Science Fiction” hosted by Marathi Vidnyan Parishad Mumbai, as a part of the IASFS 21st Annual/6th International Science Fiction Conference of July 2022 is now available on YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/Ut_8d3i3gCI;
YouTube link for 19th July 22 morning program could be accesed by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/BVVUGwfzn-U;
You can access to 20.07.2022 Programs for morning and evening sessions:
YouTube link for morning session: https://youtu.be/rb4hI3pUG8U;
YouTube link for evening session: https://youtu.be/2KL6ZoQXof4;
YouTube link for IASFS conference for July, 18, 2022: Access at 22.00 hours (IST) fior morning programs: https://youtu.be/3Gtap__g12I
Evening program: https://youtu.be/IAwzMz90eGM
YouTube link for IASFS day 1 (17.07.2022) programs:
YouTube link for GLA University, Mathura – Inaugural function, keynote and panel discussion on Recent Trends in Indian/South-Asian SF- all in one: please click the link below: https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/kLA4ergSHRUz8XepFANshk9Ar3bEah97JZwcCukPuQNBLFGVyTGldUTr1OxVbpHI.PRdHLIvXh-0v1Ot9;
E-certificates are being posted to participants’ email id. For further information please contact Professor.Balaji A Navle: E-certificate team head: firstname.lastname@example.org; +91 9860447457; +91 9284894447;
Your positive suggestions to improve our programs in the future may kindly be posted on the feedback form visible on the menu “Contacts and Feedback” in this website.
17th Evening Video:
Table of Content: Updates; Highlights; Collaborators; conference brochure version 2.50 released! (NEW); Registration forms and payment link for all the categories; Dates for submissions; Details about the conference; Calendar of Events; Publication Matters; UPDATED Tentative program list; Brochure (Version 2.50) and contact details, List of Coordinators AND List of Advisory Committee Members.
2. The programs of the conference will be beamed on TWO Channels namely, Channel 1 and Channel 2. They are complementary to each other. IASFS programs are beamed over Channel 1 and Channel 2. However, the inaugural function, keynote address and a Panel discussion on Indian/South Asian Science Fiction, and all the paper presentations will be over Channel 2.
Please find the program schedule of the channel 2 -collaborating Institution namely, Department of English, GLA University, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Please find the Channel 1 Program list:
Brochure version 2.50:
Updated Program List:
The following organizations have signed the MoU with IASFS:
Happy to let you know that we are totally 11 in number!
- Marathi Vidnyan Parishad, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- University Research Publication, Valamboor, University of Kerala, Kerala.
- TWJ Foundation: The Social Reforms, Pagmala, Chiplun, Ratnagiri District, Maharashtra.
- adbhut.in; Bangalore, Karnataka.
- Kalpabiswa.com; Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Guru Nanak College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Mumbai.
- Department of English, Elphinstone College, Dr. Homi Babha State University, Mumbai, MH.
- Department of English, Deogiri College, MSP Mandal, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- Department of English, GLA University, Mathura, Uttara Pradesh.
- Department of English, KSR Institute for Engineering & Technology, Tiruchengode, Namakkal District, Tamil Nadu.
Department of English, GLA University, Mathura will host the online mode the AKAM Curtain Raiser program, inaugural function followed by keynote address and a panel discussion from 09.00 hours on Sunday 17.07.2022.
Further, Mr. Harish Goyal the eminent Science Fiction writer will deliver keynote address in Hindi language.
All paper presentation sessions will be hosted by the Department of English, GLAU, Mathura, UP.
Marathi Vidnyan Parishad, Mumbai will host the valedictory function as well as the celebration of Dr. JV Narlikar’s birthday (Indian SF Day) on online mode on Tuesday 19.07.2022 at 18.00 hours.
Eminent SF experts will speak on the status of SF in their respective Indian languages namely, Hindi, Assamese, Punjabi, Tamil, and Marathi during this exclusive “Seminar on Science Fiction” program. Dr. Bal phondke presides the session.
Guru Nanak College of Arts, Science & Commerce Mumbai will host the session on the topic “Poetry and Science” on 18.07.2022 at 11.15 hours. Dr. Ratnakar Bhelkar Chairs the session.
Deatailed program list:
Sunday July 17,2022: 18:00 hours:
|Celebration of Azadi Ka Amruth Mahotsav: |
18.00 hours onwards
1. Bharathanatyam Arangetram by Ms.Ananya Mani
(Disciple of Vidhushi Poornima Rajani, Choreographer and Head of National Institute of Dance, Arts & Music, Bangalore)
Courtesy: NIDAM, Bangalore
2. Hindustani vocal Classical Musical concert by Vidhushi Shrimathi Vasudha Sharma, Sagar, Karnataka.
Courtesy: Smt. Vasudha Sharma
Duration: About 1 hour
July 18, 2022: Azadi Ka Amruth Mahotsav celebrations continues
18 .00 hours:
1. Veena – Mridangam Duet:
Featuring Vidhushi YG Srilatha Nikhith on Veena; Vidhwan Puttur Nikhith on Mridangam;
(Courtesy: Mr. Shantaram Bhat, Sagar. Karnataka)
(Duration: About 1 hour)
Play Malati Madhava (original Sanskrit by Bhavabhuti)
Translation and Direction: Mr. Akshara KV, NINASAM, Heggodu, Karnataka.
(Courtesy: Mr. Akshara KV)
(Duration: About 2 hours 30 minutes
Details about the Conference:
Indian Association for Science Fiction Studies (R) Bangalore (with other collaborators) proposes to organize 21st Annual/6th International Science Fiction Virtual Conference on July 17th, 18th 19th, & 20th 2022.
Science Fiction has grown enormously in these days and hence, it is difficult to define in simple terms. However, Science fiction is the contemporary form of literature with the back bone of Science and Technology, which deals with the societal problems and plausible solution often projected to far-fetched future.
Science Communication: The genre science fiction has emerged with the powerful impact of industrialization with the pioneer work of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein or the Modern Prometheus (1818). Science fiction is based on scientific principles, adopts scientific methodology and conducts Gedenken experiments. Today’s Science Fiction is tomorrow’s science and technology. All branches of knowledge can converge to science fiction to visualize the progress that would happen in the years to come. On the one hand, it would ease the ‘future shock’, and on the other hand, it predicts the luxuries of man’s life in the future. It is not confined to one geographical region, one religion, one community, one language group, one ethnic group, but concerned about the whole of the earth people. Hence, Science fiction is a powerful tool for effective science communication.
Science Fiction is the study of the impact of S&T on humanity. Hence, it is often termed as an advanced form of literature. It makes use of the literary theories in its form and content. Often, colonialism, feminism, consumerism, psycho-analysis and others form the angles of study.
The proposed theme of the conference would be “Forms of SF”. It is a boon that Science Fiction has two hands. On the one hand, there is science and technology and literature on the other hand. Hence, the paper presenters and guest speakers will have a wide range of perspectives to view from multi-disciplinary angles for their choice of topics for presenting the papers or delivering the lectures during the mega event.
Punch word: Acronym: SLOTS
Th punch word for the conference: SLOTS (‘S’ Stands for SCIENCE FICTION, ‘L’ for LITERATURE, ‘O’ for OPEN ENDED, ‘T’ for TECHNOLOGY, and ‘S’ for SCIENCE)
The Association has begun preparation in organizing the 21st Annual/ 6th International Science Fiction Conference. It is only a proposal: One way of looking at things. It may undergo sea change as and when we get valuable suggestions from the collaborators, office bearers, life members, delegates, participants and the advisory board members.
The mode of the conference would be virtual. Added to it the Department of English, GLA University, Mathura, Uttara Pradesh would organize the programs on blended mode that is, online and offline.
On July 19, 2022, it is proposed to celebrate “Indian Science Fiction Day” on the birthday of Dr. Jayant V Narlikar’s. Arrangements are being made for representatives of the collaborating organizers to visit him and celebrate birthday there at his residence.
The deliberations of the conference will be in English which comprise of paper presentations, self-authored story reading sessions, panel discussions, book release, and special lectures.
Other activities include music concerts, dance, drama and other cultural programs on the occasion of Swatantra ka Amruth Varsh celebration.
Duration for presentations:
IASFS proposes to receive the pre-recorded videos from the paper presenters/self- authored story reading (limited to 10 minutes), eminent plenary speakers (limited to 20 minutes) panelists, and Keynote address, guest lectures and others (limited to 50 minutes).
The technical teams of the organizers will edit and keep the videos ready for beaming them as per schedule.
Teams will also work for the preparation of Abstract book, Proceedings, Feedback and for the issue of E-participation certificate.
Publication of the conference paper/story is not mandatory for any category of registered participants.
However, IASFS has outsourced the publication task to university research publication, University of Kerala which will publish the eligible conference papers/stories – in English and other Indian languages ranging from Literature- Science Fiction-Science & Technology in their exclusive conference Science Fiction special issue. It would be a peer reviewed ISSN numbered UGC approved journal.
Please follow the link and then click on Add to Cart- View Cart- Proceed to Checkout- Then you can see a form to fill out your basic information and payment options like UPI and Razor pay for both the divisions:
special issue rates: INR 1500/- for Indians; US$35.13 or equivalent for foreigners.
The publication is subjected to the submission of the papers within the stipulated dates only. Further, publication team would edit and communicate the respective eligible paper authors about the acceptance for publication. The publication team would intimate the writers whose papers are rejected for publication. The amount paid would be refunded in a span of a fortnight from the date of intimation sent. For more details please visit the site: https://universitypublication.in/ or mail: email@example.com;
Download the updated tentative program list which is given at the beginning of this section.
Mode of presentation of papers: paper presentation will be made easy by asking them to submit the pre-recorded videos with or without a PPT. It should be restricted to the length of 10 minutes only. A buffer time or a minute or two will be allowed. After thier submission of the videos, the technical team members would arrange them thematically and announce the video beaming timeslots allotted to them over the website.
Paper presentation sessions/ Papers presentations per hour:
It is proposed that in the beginning of any paper presentation session, an anchor person would briefly introduce the Chairperson/Co-Chair, brief about the theme, sub-theme; introduce the paper presenters during the one-hour session -limited to 4 X10 minute beaming pre-recorded videos followed by the Chairperson’s remarks and interaction by the viewers. The viewers/participants/delegates/observers could post their questions/additions/ over the chat history. They would be answered live/answered in an extended slot of time which would be at the discretion of the respective chairpersons of the scheduled sessions.
- Registration is mandatory for all. This is applicable for organizers, VVIPS, VIPS, Distinguished guests, special invitees, technical persons, sponsors, advertisers, Dean, HoD, Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Administrators, Principals, lecturers, doctors, members of the advisory board, members of the organizing committee, students from UG to Research scholars, Office staff, supporting staff, media persons, Political leaders who aspire to attend, Invited audience, general public and other participants.
- Everyone should provide email id and mobile number.
- Photo identity and residential proof.
- A photo of less than 1 MB of a front view must be uploaded.
The above basic information should be duly filled in the google.doc registration form.
- Presentation of paper is not obligatory. Hence, the term “Observer” could be made use of while filling the registration form.
- It may be noted that no information provided by you would be shared with anyone but utilized for conference purpose only.
- The participants must provide the following information:
- Postal Address
- Designation/ department/ office/ house maker/student/
- If you propose to submit a paper – the name of the department to which it may be transmitted/ language group/ theme/ subtheme/ and others which help the organizers to categorize the session in which it could be accommodate.
- Please note that you will have to write your name without attributes like Dr /Professor/ Mr./Mrs./Ms./ on the subject line of your mail; Dr. Manoj Kumar Agrawal should write as Manoj Kumar Agrawal on the subject line. This would help us to find your file in minutes and the organizers will get back to you with relevant answers.
- All correspondence will be over email only.
- Registration fee has to be paid by all except for the members of the organizing committee, advisory board, technical staff, VIIPs, distinguished guests, those partaking in plenary sessions and paper presentation teams like Chairpersons, anchor persons, persons who would come for invocation, security persons, and others as would be specified by the organizers from time to time.
- Submission of a pre-recorded video for presentation of paper – should be done within the deadline prescribed for it as this would give an actual count of the number of paper presenters, determining the number of sessions, number of channels, and others. The pre-recorded video should not exceed the time limit of 10 minutes.
- Submission date for the full-length paper is 30.06.2022..
- Ihere would be a prescribed fee for the publication of full-length paper and it would not be a part of the registration fee paid for the conference. However, the publication refers to only ‘online journal’.
- The full-length paper should be in MS word format with New Times Roman font with 12-point size and have 1.5-line space. It may be in between 3000 to 5000 words following MLA style of 7th edition rules.
- One may visit gallery and library sections of the website of Indian Association for Science Fiction Studies namely, https://iasfs.in to refer to the guidance for preparing pre-recording videos and the model of abstract writing as well as the glimpse of each session.
Advisory Committee Members:
- Dr. AP Jayaraman, Nuclear Scientist; Chairman, National Centre for Science Communicators; President STEAM; Academic Council Member, HSBC University; & PCST Global Scientific Committee Member, Mumbai, MH.
- Dr. Ashish Mahabal, Astro-Physicist, Caltech, Pasadena, California, USA.
- Dr. Palanivel R, Professor of English (Rtd), IDE, University of Madras, Chennai. TN.
- Mrs. Seema Kulkarni, SF writer, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Dr. Arvind Dubey, Pediatrician, SF writer, Lucknow, UP
- Mrs. Savitha Srinivas, IPS, Karnataka State Police, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Mr. Harish Yadav, Mentalist, SF writer, Jaipur, Rajasthan,
List of Coordinators:
|IASFS, Bangalore, Karnataka|
|Marathi Vidnyan Parishad, Mumbai, MH|
|TWJ Foundation -The Social Reforms, |
Pagmala, Chiplun, Ratnagiri District, MH
|kalpabiswa.com; Kolkata, WB|
|adbhut.in; Bangalore, Karnataka|
|University Research Publication; Kerala|
|Department of English,|
Deogiri College, Aurangabad, MH
|Department of English,|
Elphinstone College, Mumbai, MH
|Department of English,|
GLA University, Mathura, UP
|Department of English, KSR Insstitute for Engineering & Technology,|
Tiruchengode, Namakkal District, Tamil Nadu
|Guru Nanak College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Mumbai|