22nd Offline Conference:
IASFS is organizing the 22nd Annual/7th International Science Fiction Online Conference on April 8th & 9th, 2023.
Details are provided on the menu 22nd con.
However, please find the attached brochure version 1.00 for information:
IASFS requires an enthusiastic person (Gender, qualification, age & region/location no bar) to work online as Public Relation Officer. Knowledge of English, Hindi,basic computers & communication skills are essential). Apply with confidence: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- The link for the video of “Seminar on Science Fiction” hosted by Marathi Vidnyan Parishad Mumbai, as a part of the IASFS 21st Annual/6th International Science Fiction Conference of July 2022 is now available on YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/Ut_8d3i3gCI;
- The link for the video of “About the Conference” by Dr. Srinarahari is available on YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/6vMgcHIxZAw;
- The link for the video of “Recent Trends in Indian/South Asian Science Fiction”(panelists: Dr. Vandana Singh; Dr. Superno Banerjee; Mr. Dinker Charak and Mr. Sumit Kumar Bardan; Moderator: Mr. Gautham Shenoy) is available on YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/JdlRyi7yqMI;
- The link for the video of “Keynote Address” by Mr.Harish Goyal: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17HzVQHRj-kxRtFTpNdxPp05kt8w3ovwN/view?usp=sharing;
- E-certificates are being posted to participants’ email id. For further information please contact the convener of the conference: Dr. Kanagaselvam: +91 7373489495; email@example.com; Professor.Balaji A Navle: E-certificate team head: firstname.lastname@example.org; +91 9860447457; +91 9284894447;
- Your positive suggestions to improve our programs in the future may kindly be posted on the feedback form available on the menu “Contacts and Feedback” on this website.
- 19th Evening session “Seminar on Science Fiction” video link is available. Courtesy: MaViPa, Mumbai.
- IASFS & 10 collaborators thank you for your active participation during the conference.
You can become a life member now as the membership fees will be hiked after the month of August 2022.
3. E-certificates are being posted to participants’ email id. For further information please contact the convener of the conference: Dr. Kanagaselvam: +91 7373489495; email@example.com; Professor Balaji A Navle: E-certificate team head: firstname.lastname@example.org; +91 9860447457; +91 9284894447;
4. IMPORTANT: The aspirants who desire to submit the full-length paper for publication in Peer Reviewed ISSN numbered UGC approved Journal “INSIGHT” may even now mail to email@example.com; mentioning your probable time of submission, title, theme, language, stories (in English, Hindi or in any one of the Indian official languages), detailed address, email. and phone number within a week’s duration.
5. Youtube link for the morning session dated 20.07.2022: https://youtu.be/rb4hI3pUG8U;
6. YouTube link for the evening session dated 20.07.2022: https://youtu.be/2KL6ZoQXof4;
7 a. 19th Evening session: Google drive video link for the session “Seminar on Science Fiction” Courtesy: Marathi Vidnyan Parishad, Mumbai. This is under the process of editing and then we shall upload to YouTube and share the link here. As there was a huge demand for to watch by our viewers, we are providing the link here for you to access: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVxc-BY2ieApKFa0V1Vcj_9-XXJ2SguE/view?usp=sharing;
7b. YouTube link for 19th July 22 morning program could be accesed by clicking on this link: https://youtu.be/BVVUGwfzn-U;
8. AccessYouTube for Monday 18.07.2022 (IST) morning and evening programs: at 22.00 hours on 18.07.2022.
9. Access YouTube Link for 17th IASFS program today at 22.00 hours IST. 17.07.2022 Morning session: YouTube link for GLA University, Mathura – Inaugural function, keynote and panel discussion on Recent Trends in Indian/South-Asian SF- all in one: please click the link below: https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/kLA4ergSHRUz8XepFANshk9Ar3bEah97JZwcCukPuQNBLFGVyTGldUTr1OxVbpHI.PRdHLIvXh-0v1Ot9;
10. 17th Evening Video
Erratum: Please read GLA University, Mathura, Uttara Pradesh, India instead of Ganeshi Lal Agrawal University, Mathura where ever it appears.
3. Passcode Protected details:
VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE:
The entire program will be beamed from Channel 1 and Channel 2 (including parallel sessions) The passcode protected details of the scheduled zoom cloud meetings will be shared a day earlier to the scheduled programs. They would be sent to the registered participants’ registered email ids only.
4. The list of online paper presentations will be made available on 16.07.2022 HERE. It would be on Channel 2 hosted by Department of English, GLA University, Mathura, UP, India. The presenters should be present online at that time slot. No reminders/ calls/messages will be given to anyone. If they are absent then their names will be removed and alternative slots will not be allotted to them at all.
5. The Submission date for the publication of full-length papers is extended till 20.07.2022.
The scheduled dates of the 21st Annual/6th International Science Fiction Virtual Conference are July 17,18, 19, & 20, 2022. Please visit the menu “21st con” in this website for details.
The conference updates are provided hereafter (15.06.2022 onwards) here in this section
- The Submission date for the publication of full-length papers is extended till 20.07.2022.
- Conference programs are beamed over Two channels namely, Channel 1 & 2. They are complementary to each other. Channel 2 will beam the inaugural, keynote, panel discussion on “Recent Trends in Indian/South Asian Science Fiction”
- And all the paper presentation sessions. The details of the paper presenters, session date, time would be announced in course of time.
- The Zoom Passcode Protected Meeting details will be sent to Registered participants’ registered email a day earlier than the scheduled program.
Though the registration date is over on 15.06.2022, the registered participants are permitted to submit their abstract, videos, and profile within this week.
The full-length paper submission for publication has the deadline till 20.07.2022.
The brochure and the tentative program lists are updated on the section: 21st Con. Please download and track the schedule.
- IASFS congratulates Dr. Shantala for bagging the Dr. Girijamma Award for her 3019 AD Science Fiction novel which scientifically predicts the life, ambience and the sea changes in our Universe in a span of 1000 years from now!
- Shwetha Taneja’s THEY MADE WHAT? THEY FOUND WHAT/ has been longlsited in another award (Multiple awards)- Valley of Words Award (Best Author in young adult category).
- Mr. Dinker Charak for the new venture: https://notionpress.com/read/the-neutrinos-are-coming-and-other-stories;
- Mr. Harish Goyal for having bagged one of the prestigious award: Indian Magic Award 2022!
- Dr.Ranjan Garge multi-talented SF author is accredited the most prestigious award “Mentor for Entrepreneurship Development” by City & Guild London Institute.
24th birthday of IASFS celebrated!
Proceedings of the Zoom Cloud Meeting:
Indian Association for Science Ficiton Studies (R) had organized a Zoom Cloud Meeting with its fans and distinguished guests to celebrate its 24th birthday on on 02.01.2022 at 11.15 hours IST.
The celebration was in the form of arranging the release of two Science Fiction books: Silver Lining: An anthology of Indian SF short stories: Volume 1. The anthology is unique in accommodating stories in English, and Indian languages Hindi, Marathi and Telugu: Volume 1. The first book has the short stories authored by Dr.Ravi Kopparapu, USA; Seeema Kulkarni, Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia; Vohra, Diu & Daman; Dr.Sophia, Imphala, Manipur; Dr.Ranjan Garge, Aurangabad, MH, Dinakar Charak, Bangalore, Karnataka and Aadram Naik, Rajasthan. The anthology is edited by Drs. Sowmya Murukesh and Priyalekha. The introduction is penned by Dr. Srinarahari.
The second book Aliens Aur Palayith Manavatha is a Hindi SF novel by Harish Goyal, Ajmir, Rajasthan. Both the books were released by Dr.Sowmya Murukesh the Chief Editor, University Publication, Sri. Sankaracharya U of Sanskrit, Kalady, Kerala. For other details please visit: http://www.universitypublication.in;
2. This was followed by a discussion held with the esteemed members present under the chairmanship of Dr. Srinarahari during this virtual meeting regarding the planning for the 21st Annual/6th International SF conference on July 17,18 & 19, 2022. The days of the conference will be flexible if the menus for the event are more in number. The meeting was concluded with the following resolutions as proposals for future action:
a. To invite the organizations for collaboration and collectively organize the proposed conference.
b. Presently, it is planned to hold the conference on virtual mode but to hold the inauguration and valedictory functions on normal (offline) mode following all the covid 19 precautions like restricting the audience and guests to less than 20 in number in a large conference hall. Arrangements would be made for live streaming of the events.
c. To celebrate the Indian Science Fiction Day (Bharateeya Vaignyanik Katha Diwas) /Dr. Jayanth V Narlikar’s birthday on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 as a major event combied with valedictory function in the normal (offline) mode following the same rules applied for inauguration function.
d. The details of the Registration process and the planning for the proposed conference would be finalized with the willing collaborating institutions/companies/webmasters/sponsors/donors/philanthropists/academicians/Colleges/Universities/ Science departments/ members of the advisory board/board of directors and others during the ensuing proposed meeting with them.
e. To invite for the submission of an abstract (100 words) for all the paper presenters, guest speakers, the chairperson of proposed panel discussion sessions with a brief profile in a span of 30 days from the date of official announcement of the proposed event.
f. To submit the pre-recorded videos of the 10 minute paper presentations; guest lectures of 20 minutes; Special lectures/ Keynote address of 40 minutes duration in editable format in a span of 60 days of the official announcement of the event.
g. Subjected to the receipt of the videos within the stipulated dates, the duration of each language session slots like English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Assamese, Punjabi, Oriya, Gujarathi, Kannada, Urdu, Telugu, Malayalam and others. If the numbers are large, arrangements will be made for organizing parallel sessions.
h. To submit the full length papers in a span of 120 days from the date of official announcement.
i. Presently, univeristypublcation.in; is ready to proofread, suggest corrections needed to make it perfect, edit, monitor, and publish the accepted papers in e-book format with a nominal charge if an agreement is signed by the respective author (English and all other Indian languages under one umbrella).
j. The organizing committee wil have the options to give out what is best for the event from time to time with the approval Secretary- General of IASFS.
Indian Science Fiction Day (Bharatheeya Vignyan Katha Divas)
It is a matter of great pleasure that Dr. Jayant V Narlikar has consented to celebrate his birthday every year on July 19th as Indian Science Fiction Day/Bharatheeya Vignyan Katha Divas throughout India. IASFS thanks Mr. Ananth Panduranga Deshpande for taking intiative in finalizing process of proposing, acceptance and implementing the same. Now, it is our turn to plan the event for the day starting from July 19, 2022.
IASFS congratulates Mr. Devendra Mewari for being awarded the Sahitya Academy Award under juvenile literature.
Another eminent hindi writer is Dr.Arvind Dubey received the honor of publishing Laut Auo Neeno by Vignyan Prasar Periodicals in Regional Language and Kutuhali in Kannada section also.
IASFS Congratulates Ms. Kalpna Kulshresta Leading Hindi Science Fiction Writer a resident of Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh for winning the Science Popularization for Children award for the prestigious “Jagpati Chaturvedi Award”. The award carries a cash prize of One Lakh Rupees and a citation to be received from the Honorable Chief Minister himself. We are proud that she is in our team.
Dr. Shanatala and Mrs. Sapna Katti are the recipients of the Science Reporter SF story competition.
Team IASFS congratulates Dr.Srinarahari the recipient of Education Excellence Award 2021 for award for Contribution to Education Community.
Kuthuhali is a newly emerged Kannada Science Magazine in Kannada. Dr. Kollegal Sharma formerly a senior scientist in CFTRI, Mysore, Karnataka, who plays a keyrole in the field of popularizing science and a renowned Science communicator (Jaana sudhi) has invited the authors to send unpublished Science Fiction short stories in Kannada limited to 1000 words. The stories could be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org; for publication in an SF exclusive special issue.
The New year 2022 January issue is released and one can find a Science Fiction story entitled “Sojiga” by Dr.Srinarahari. Thanks for encouraging the genre. The entire magazine is a model for every upcoming magazines.
Treasure of Indian Science Fiction:
New Horizon: New Release:
Superno Banerjee: Indian Science Fiction: Patterns, History and Hybridity. Cardiff, UK: University of Wales Press. (2020)
Sami Ahamed Khan: Star Warriors of the Modern Raj: Materiality, Mythology and Technology of Indian Science Fiction: U of Wales P; June 2021;
Tarun K Saint (Ed).,The Gollancz Book of South Asian Science Fiction; Vol 2; Hachetteindia:2021;
Dr. Shantala; 3019 AD: My Lang Books Digital Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore, 2021 (Language: Kannada);
Dr. Ranjan Garge: Mangal Kujabhujala: Creations Publications, Aurangabad, 2020; (Language: Marathi);
Mentalist Harish Yadav: Magic and Mentalism in Science Fiction; Namyapresss.com; Delhi: 2021;
Arvind Mishra: The Space Cuckoo and other Stories (Anthology of Indian Science Fiction Stories; original Hindi; Translated to English: Kshama Gautham; Forward: Darias Luca Hupov. 2021)
Sharad Puranik: Pasanth Aahe Mulgi (Marathi); the Ninth Science Fiction Anthlogy of the author is published: Dec 1, 2021.
Released: Silver Lining: An Anthology of Indian Science Fiction Stories in English, Hindi, Marathi, Telugu by various authors from all the parts of India like EAST, West, North, South and also from Malaysia to the USA; Unique publication: Editors: Drs. Sowmya Murukesh & Priyalekha; Introduction: Dr.Srinarahari; University publications, Kerala; https://universitypublication.in;
Five New books will be released from Kalpabiswa during December 2021: 1. Asisapta/Cursed Blade by Sumit Bardan; 2. Ankiter Budbud/Ankit’s Bubble by Yashodhara Ray Chowdhari; 3. Kankabati Kalpabignyan lekhani/Anthology of Women SF translated from Bengali; 4. Kalpabiswas Uponyas Parba/Selected Novels from Kalpabishwa; 5. Grohantarer Agantuk/ Visitors from Space- Russian SF translated to Bengali.
Please note that the above mentioned books are available from: kalpabishwabooks.com;
Publication of SF Scholarly papers
IASFS has outsourced the task of publication of chosen Science Fiction scholarly papers of the latest conference. It is published by University Publication Division Sri Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Kaaladi, Ernakulum District, Kerala State. The association thanks to the Chief Editor Dr. Sowmya Murugesh and her entire team for bringing out a science fiction special issue.
Contemporary Anthology of Indian Science Fiction Short Stories:
IASFS has collected Unpublished Contemporary Science Fiction Short Stories which are in English, Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada from the Indian Science Fiction authors from EAST, WEST, NORTH, SOUTH, CENTER parts of India as well as from offshore one from East that is, Malaysia, and West from the USA- a unique coverage in hybrid language mode. The upcoming anthology is under publication from University publication, Kerala.
SF Anthology by Marathi Vidnyan Parishad, Mumbai
Mr. AP Deshpande over a latest communique has requested to send the best English science fiction short story of the authors for the upcoming anthology to be published by Marathi Vidnyan Parishad, Mumbai.
IASFS Upcoming Events
SF Research Scholars Meet:
The main objective of Indian Association for Science Fiction Studies is to encourage Research in the field of SF and to provide avenues for the researchers to carry on qualitative research in the field.
In this direction, the association proposes to organize a series of online events during the December 2021- January 2022. We propose that the researchers could send their confirmation of their participation over email to email@example.com; with a subject line SF Research Scholars Meet.
The scholars during this event may speak individually/present their proposal for research; progress done in their research; plausible solutions to unsolved questions by individual researchers. The scholars must submit the proposal to their respective Ph.D. supervisors and get clearance before their presentation. The entire team will then interact with one another to find plausible solutions for the doubts that the individual researchers have encountered. IASFS will only be a facilitator and requests the SF scholars and supervisors (also labelled as Ph.D. guides) to register, plan, fine tune the event. Please feel free to post your views over the email or on the feedback form provided under one of the menus in the websites. Let us all join together to discuss seriously the Subject Science Fiction here. It is an idea which I hope will taken up by to give a better shape.
Upcoming 21st Annual/ 6th International Science Fiction Conference
IASFS proposes to organize the next conference during February 2022. The details of the program, theme, deadline, procedure, target audience, delegate fee, guest speakers, mode of the conference like online, offline or hybrid will all be shared shortly.
In a meeting held at Crimson Lotus, MLA Layout, Dollars Colony, Bangalore, Karnataka on Febuary 19, 2021, under the chair Mrs. Savitha Srinivas IPS in the presence of Dr.Shantala the Gynecologist-SF Writer, and Dr.Srinarahari Secretary- General of IASFS, the secretary of Indian Science Fiction Writers Association Dr. Arvind Mishra announced that the association in collaboration with IASFS will hold a normal mode conference at Ayodhya (Faizabad), Uttar Pradesh, India during October 2022. The modalities were discussed and the blue print was made ready for the upcoming event during the meeting. The organizers will provide more information well in advance.